This class conforms to the ©DnD ™ base class as presented in the ©Players Handbook.
Class choice in Incarna is a role-playing challenge more than anything. While any class is possible in the right situation/background, race, culture, gender, regional issues, and social norms all factor into what path a character is able to take. A full Character Background and Perspective Stories can explain anything, even complete deviation from any setting or rule restrictions. However, it is also these constraining elements that give the most role-play challenge (and reward) and should be encouraged. Multi-classing after character creation has only the limits the story and setting provide (aside from any normal Ability limits).
Changes to the Warlock
- Essence Bind: The Warlock loses 3 Essence at 1st level for the deep ties to their patron.
Pact of the Blade Changes:
- Eldritch Blade: Prerequisite: Pact of the Blade feature & 4th level
You may choose to make attacks with your Pact Blade as Melee Spell Attacks. When doing so, you may add your Charisma bonus instead of your Strength or Dexterity bonus to the attack rolls and damage rolls of your Pact Blade.
- Phantasmal Blade: Prerequisite: Pact of the Blade feature & 7th level
When you summon your Pact Weapon, select a damage type: until you dismiss your weapon or take a short or long rest, your Pact Weapon deals this type of damage.
- Eldritch Blade: Prerequisite: Pact of the Blade feature & 4th level
Pact of the Tome Changes:
- Patron’s Watcher: At 4th level, an Essence Bound Warlock which takes the Ritual Caster feat automatically also gains Find Familiar spell; those with the Pact of the Chain gain Phantom Steed in their ritual book in addition to the normal starting spells.
- Living Tome: A Warlock character with Pact of the Tome may spend 1 Essence to make their tome a living tome. It has the following benefits: 1) If the tome is destroyed or banished, when it is re-conjured it has the same spells; 2) Their Book of Shadows has a number of Cantrips equal to 3 or their Charisma bonus; If ever their CHA bonus is higher, they gain the difference between 3 and the CHA bonus; 3) If the character has a Book of Ancient Secrets they gain a number of ritual spells equal to equal to 3 or their Charisma bonus (whichever is higher)
Pact of the Chain Changes:
- Eldritch Evocation: Voice of the Chain Master This Invocation also has the effect of creating such a close bond between the Warlock and his familiar that the familiar is able to maintain concentration on one spell (until the spell’s maximum duration) while the Warlock concentrates on another – just as the Magnify Ritual Spell Ritual Lore ability. Additionally, the Warlock is able to cast an spell with a verbal only component through the Familiar, as if the familiar were casting it, with the Familiar duplicating the Warlock’s actions.
Sworn and Beholden
This is a deep part of the Warlock – in exchange for knowledge and power, they serve their patron. At 4th, 8th, and 12th levels, all Warlocks voluntarily subjects themselves to a Gaes from their Patron. They must attempt to fulfill this Gaes as swiftly as possible, or lose the powers of their Eldritch Invocations. While under this Gaes, they gain the use of an additional Elritch Invocation to complete it, and when complete its use fades from the character’s ability.
- None of the Invocations use a Spell Slot to cast; the Warlock barely has any spell slots already, this penalizes them rather than empowers.
- The following are changed to 1/Short Rest: Thief of Five Fates
Blood and Souls! The character kills a victim in a manner proscribed by a Ritual. A Number of victims can be sacrificed for gain equal to their Charisma modifier (min. 1). The benefits gained vanish after a period of time equal to a Short Rest (Long Rest if 13th level or higher). For each sacrifice, the Warlock may choose the following benefit:
- [Universal] Switch out 1 of their Eldritch Invocations until the long rest ends. The new one can be any they meet the requirements for.
- Fiend: Dark Ones Own Luck
- Old One: Entropic Ward
- Fey: Misty Escape
Requirements: Soul sacrifice may be done only 1/Long Rest. The victim must be sentient, and have Essence. Type: Enemies of the Patron. Alignment: Must reflect enemies of the Patron.
Warlock Books and Tomes
Inscription Rules: What is inscribed in Warlock grimoires persists through re-conjurings if the inscription cost is doubled. By strict interpretation, anything inscribed therein is gone if it is destroyed or un-conjured. Persistence lasts only a single re-conjuring; if a book is re-conjured each spell and cantrip must be inscribed over the top of again using more expensive materials or the tome’s destruction will cause them to be lost.
- Book of Shadows: Normal Inscription Rules apply…
- Tome of Ancient Secrets: Normal Inscription Rules apply…
- Barbarian Class
- Bard Class
- Cleric Class
- Druid Class
- Fighter Class
- Monk Class
- Paladin Class
- Ranger Class
- Rogue Class
- Sorcerer Class
- Warlock Class
- Wizard Class
Sworn and Beholden: The character, in exchange for the immediate knowledge and power, voluntarily subjects themselves to a Gaes of their Patron. It cannot be to act against their own best interests, or harm their companions. The lesser Warlock is for characters wishing to bond themselves to a power in exchange for specific service. All such Lesser Warlock Pacts require the sacrifice 1 Essence and 1 HP permanently.
Lesser Warlock Pacts
Fighting Prowess: For Fighters seeking Eldritch Knight powers without having to train for a long time and learn their arcane skills. Such characters are not limited to the recommended cantrip/spell selections of their archetype/pathway. At 5th level, they can cast a Ritualized Find Familiar – the creature type is that of the character’s patron. The familiar is nominally a spy for the patron as well, and will always be whispering promises of power, trying to advance further pacts and bonds. If killed, it cannot be summoned again until the character reaches the next level.
Arcane Prowess: Thieves seeking Arcane Trickster powers without having to train for a long time and learn their arcane skills. Such characters are not limited to the recommended cantrip/spell selections of their archetype/pathway. At 5th level, they can cast a Ritualized Find Familiar – the creature type is that of the character’s patron. The familiar is nominally a spy for the patron as well, and will always be whispering promises of power, trying to advance further pacts and bonds. If killed, it cannot be summoned again until the character reaches the next level.
Simple Power: Characters not meeting the Charisma requirement for single or multi class have this option available to them – but only where the GM dictates circumstances allow the power making the pact to offer it. For instance, while in the Feywild, where their power is greatest, a greater faerie spirit (but not arch-fey) may offer a lesser pact.
- The character does not gain a Path at 3rd level if they progress that far.
- A spell abilities are treated as if they were Ritualized.
- Characters are encouraged to participate in Soul Sacrifice for power