Learning relies on knowledge, and knowledge has multiple levels of study. Bodies of knowledge are rated on the level of information they impart. Combining them to search and discover information allows the searcher to use the highest of the levels. If more than 1 is used, each additional source/library of Knowledgeable or better grants +1 on total level used for search. Without technological assistance a character can cross reference no more libraries at once than their Intelligence bonus.
- Primitive: “Humans walk on 2 legs and have babies.”
Typical target is DC 5; non-bonus level knowledge
- Rudimentary: “Humans walk, have babies, and as mammals have live births.”
Typical target is DC 10; proficiency bonus or Lore bonus +2
- Understandable: “Humans walk, have babies, and as mammals have live births after 9 months gestation.”
Typical target is DC 15; proficiency bonus or Lore bonus +4
- Knowledgeable: Conversational [for language] “Humans walk, have babies, and as mammals have live births after 9 months gestation, typically raising them as part of a multi-person family or extended social unit. The biological parents pass some characters on to their offspring.”
Typical target is DC 20; proficiency bonus or Lore bonus +6
- Accomplished: “Humans walk, have babies, and as mammals have live births after 9 months gestation, typically raising them as part of a multi-person family or extended social unit. Physical characteristics are based on DNA inheritance, which are typically manipulated in modern society using at-home kits and/or doctor-patient gene-therapy sessions. Parents can be of any gender given modern breeding science, and offspring are designed to be disease and age resistant in addition to physically tailored to adapt better to their target planetary environment.”
Typical target is DC 25; proficiency bonus or Lore bonus +8
Impression: Learning works by impressing new memories into the matrix of information, finding ways of cross referencing the information with everything else previously, and integrating it into current patterns and processes in order to build on it. Normal sapient creatures are good at this one one degree after another. The circumstances around the learning and social aspect of learning also make it easier for new ideas and facts to become integrated.
False-Impression: When the learning process is a memory imprint, a dream addled experience, or magically altered memory it lacks the shared social reinforcement. The most often that memory is used and referenced, the more often the character will notice incongruities in ho the memory got there and its meaning. Sanity checks may be required to persist the knowledge or power gained in this manner. Learning to read and wrote, research libraries, swing a sword in the dark, conjure forth a demon or call upon the aid of a divine spirit guide, or feel a locks tumblers move with your eyes closed. Places, times, dates, these never happened and could make things confusing when reconciling with real memory. Without shared memory of the world at large, the character will learn to question the reality of it and may end up losing the knowledge gained.