The ©Players Handbook will be the official starting point, with the general Incarna Character provisions applying, and the Steel Realms an errata of changes and inclusion/exclusions for Races of the Steel Realms and classes for new options. Race may be constrained by locale, and determine class and other options including alignment.
What Steel Realms Characters Must Know
The role of PC’s
PC’s types are common in the sense that many from every place in the realms, in every walk of life seek to make a fortune for themselves – leaving friends, family, home and hearth… and most die. Most common folk will see them as the source of trouble and potential concern. Weapons, adventure, travel, and encounters of the kind most PC’s seek out are something commoners wish to avoid. In some places, PC’s may be “ushered” out of town by angry citizens hoping to prevent the delicate local balance of power from being upset. Most PC’s will find a Patron (see Factions of Power).
Key Historical Events
- Item – Date
- Item – Date
- Item – Date
Laws of the Land
PC’s may not be familiar with the specifics, but there are some universal laws and observances that most denizens are familiar with and abide by. Many PC’s must follow a code of conduct or set of laws or tenets dictated by their Patron (see Factions of Power).
Factions of Power
PC’s may not be familiar with all of the factions, but some are known across the entire breadth of the realms well, while others are known only to those of related class or backgrounds.
Most PC’s must find the protection and enter into the service of a Patron. Patrons take an active role in the direction of the actions and development of characters. A patron WILL (its a question of when, not if) demand service and an accounting of their servants/bannermen/followers/brethren.
- Secular: Secular patrons cannot take away any powers or knowledge once given.
- Arcane: Characters learning magic from a source other than the divine have a debt to be paid typically; the knowledge was given or taught because the character believed in common goals and directions the patron pursued. They were given their powers to further these.
- Religious: All divine powers take a direct interest in followers and their actions, in as much as they have the ability to affect the prominence and power of the faith. Followers will be expected to actively work against enemies of the faith and usually be vocal in local affairs representing the faith.
Languages of the Steel Realms
PC’s may not know all the languages, but most are aware that there are multiple, and traveling means they will likely have to learn a few.
- Dumastri (Dumastorian language of the Steel Realms)
- Dundarian (human language of the Steel Realms)
- Orrish (language of the Steel Realms)
- Feyloise (Elven language of the Steel Realms)
- Gladnorian (human language of the Steel Realms)
- Hrubah (Grollen language of the Steel Realms)
- Mercat (common trade language of the Steel Realms)
Character Races of the Steel Realms
|Core Race||Steel Realms Change|
|Dwarf (all)||Ducateon (caste)|
|High Elf/Wood Elf/Drow||Ynth Elf/Wyld Elf/Fay|
|Half-Elf||Half-Elf (mixed Faerie)|
|Half-Ork||Half-Ork (mixed blood Ork)|
|Halfling > Lightfoot||Halfling (3 tribes)|
Character Classes of the Steel Realms
Bound by Duty: Certain classes are bound by duty. This means they have strict observances in their outlook and training – this usually means a code of conduct and other limitations around them. The knowledge around their classes is simply not given out to anyone. Such characters will not have a choice when their Patron or organizations come calling upon them – they may be forced to leave a party, align themselves against it, or report its doings to other powers.
|Core Class||Steel Realms Change|
|Barbarian||Limited by race & place|
|Bard||Limited by race & place|
|Cleric||Vary by race & place|
|Druid||Limited by race; Druid is a calling and are bound by duty.
Only the Order of Davros learns to be the Circle of the Moon. More…
|Fighter||Limited by race & place|
|Monk||Limited by race & place
Only the Orrish train in the may of the Shadow Monk
|Paladin||Limited by race & place|
|Ranger||Limited by race & place; Unearthed Arcana rules|
|Rogue||Limited by race & place|
These art are long lost to the realms.
|Warlock||Limited by race & place
Warlock takes the least amount of time to pick up – but are Bound by Duty to their Patron and owe them everything.
|Wizard||Limited by race & place|