Essence is life energy. The All-Spark is inherent in living, sentient beings. The measure of Essence is most things is the Charisma (will) and Sanity (awareness of the depth of connection to The Pattern) – (CHA+SAN)/2 for most starting characters. It is what allows Bonds (voluntary and compelled) to form between creatures and Weaves which allows power and awareness to be shared and connected over physical distance by force or skill (such as Meditation. Essence has multiple forms – most creatures have a material Essence that binds them firmly to physical reality, but others have Ghostly Presence, Phantasmal Presence or even tied deeply to the void as a Body Beyond and/or a Mind Beyond.
- Aptitude and Affinity Greater starting ability and easier multi-classing
- Boosted Ability: [1 Essence] One of a starting characters abilities below a 7 is raised to 11 (after all other adjustments are applied). This can be used once, and only at the time of character creation.
- Primal Vitality: [2 Essence] Full HD +1 at 1st level, +1 if average taken for a HD, and a +1 on all death saves for going to negative HP
- Strong Magic: Each time a character achieves a 4th level (4,8,12,etc.) they may spend [1 Essence] to increase the strength of their magic; spell saves and attack bonus increase by 1.
Ups and Downs
- 4th/8th/12th/16th, etc. level of any class: +1
- Visited more than 4 Planes of Existence: +1
(“Pocket” planes of spells do not count)
- Highest Bonus of INT or WIS: Equal to the Bonus
(Penalties in one offset the bonus from the other)
- Bonding to Objects: Various
A character’s essence can be corrupted, inflicted with disease, made toxic, and their very nature (alignment, codes of conduct, etc.) be changed.
A target Essence is has its nature twisted by outside forces. It becomes “tainted” – and their aura will be gin to read in ways in which the possessor cannot control – good shows as evil, evil as good, alive as dead, etc.
Mystic Transference can use Essence to transfer spell ability to non-living constructs.