[Base] d20 Wizard Class Variant
These rules are for compatibility with d20 System as represented in the Basic Rules presented in The ©Players Handbook™.
Story Emphasis: It is strongly suggested that all characters have some story for the important elements of their characters.
Universal for all classes: Starting Equipment and Money = By campaign setting – DO NOT USE THE ©PLAYERS HANDBOOK.
Primary Aptitude(s): Occult
: Leveling can be done in-game at any time if progressing in an existing class. It does not grant any spells or count as a Rest of any sort. Spells known must be studied after the knowledge is gained - typically a Long Rest in contemplative reflection and self-testing. Multiclassing follows standard Incarna d20 multi-class parameters
These are critical changes to how magic works - review carefully!By default, all 'spell casting' follows the d20 Empowered Magic rules that provide warranted changes to align with Incarna principles. This includes but is not limited to:
- Practice of Magic is divided into Low Arts and High Arts; Low Art (normal spells) ALL use, by default, Verbal, Somatic, and Material elements.
- The Arcane Focus or Holy Symbol is a form Focus Point Item and requires Attunement (1 Essence).
- Rules that remove the "each round" aspect of most spell saves
- This class uses Spell type castings for determining Casting Constraints (in armor/encumbered); Unfettered (from Encumbrance): +1 Spell Attack and Spell Save DC.
- Identifying magical Dweomers and Auras (items, places, etc.) - The Identify spell is generally replaced with the Rituals of Knowing and has different outcomes. See Identifying Items.
They come from the Mystic Tradition of Tutelage. This class uses Spell type castings for determining Casting Constraints. When they Manifest spell type capabilities, it is using the Formulaic practice of Casting.
Charm-Making: Wizards are the only type of magus that can easily create [rote] Charms.
Changes to the PHB Wizard Class
- The Wizard’s Arcane Focus is a form of Focus Point.
- Tasha’s Cauldron: Additional Wizard Spells (Optional Features)