[Base] d20 Ranger Class Variant
These rule changes are for the d20 System™ as represented in the Basic Rules presented in full as The ©Players Handbook.
Primary Aptitude(s): Kinetic
Incarna iDnD prefers the UA Revised Ranger, NOT WOTC Ranger Options. We have adopted this well knowing that discussions seem to indicate there is no future for the UA version (as noted at reddit and tribality).
Changes to the Ranger
- The Favored Enemy feature is replaced with the Incarna Enmity feature.
- The Rangers Bond/Oath – What makes the Ranger, a Ranger. Primarily, this accounts for the mystical powers of the Ranger, without necessarily having to have a specific Divine Principle to answer to.
- Basic Oath/Bond: The Ranger has a simple bond of One with the Land. They sacrifice 1 Essence at 1st level for the deep ties to the world around them. They lose 1 additional Essence at 3rd level when they choose their path and bond with their animal spirit.
- High Oath/Bond: One with the Land. Rangers taking this path must choose the Hunter archetype at 3rd level. A Ranger does NOT need the Psychic Aptitude requirement for this oath. The Aptitude costs cover all the benefits – Rangers continue to get additional Favored Enemy (now Chosen Prey) and favored Terrain at levels without additional costs.
This presents a good opportunity for adding Roleplaying elements to the Character.
Story Hook ++
This presents a good opportunity for adding Character Story elements to the Character.
- Tasha’s Cauldron: Favored Foe/Foe Slayer is replaced by the Incarna Enmity (a new Chosen Prey is gained at 6th and 14th level) feature, Fighting Style Options, Spell Casting Focus, Martial Versatility (Optional Features)
- Normal [Incarna] Rangers do not have Spell Casting capability. Instead, at 2nd level they gain Second Wind and at 4th they gain Action Surge; both of these operate exactly as the Fighter class abilities, but at Ranger level, not Fighter.