[Base] d20 Ranger Class Variant
These rules are for compatibility with d20 System as represented in the Basic Rules presented in The ©Players Handbook™.
Story Emphasis: It is strongly suggested that all characters have some story for the important elements of their characters.
Universal for all classes: Starting Equipment and Money = By campaign setting – DO NOT USE THE ©PLAYERS HANDBOOK.
Primary Aptitude(s): Kinetic (mystic bond to the land) or Divine (following a faith related to nature); Divine followers generally use Conviction and progress through the Get Incarna news via our Facebook site!.
: Leveling can be done in-game at any time if progressing in an existing class. It does not grant any spells or count as a Rest of any sort. Spells known must be studied after the knowledge is gained - typically a Long Rest in contemplative reflection and self-testing. Multiclassing follows standard Incarna d20 multi-class parameters
These are critical changes to how magic works - review carefully!By default, all 'spell casting' follows the d20 Empowered Magic rules that provide warranted changes to align with Incarna principles. This includes but is not limited to:
- Practice of Magic is divided into Low Arts and High Arts; Low Art (normal spells) ALL use, by default, Verbal, Somatic, and Material elements.
- The Arcane Focus or Holy Symbol is a form Focus Point Item and requires Attunement (1 Essence).
- Rules that remove the "each round" aspect of most spell saves
- This class uses Spell type castings for determining Casting Constraints (in armor/encumbered); Unfettered (from Encumbrance): +1 Spell Attack and Spell Save DC.
- Identifying magical Dweomers and Auras (items, places, etc.) - The Identify spell is generally replaced with the Rituals of Knowing and has different outcomes. See Identifying Items.
With Conviction, this class can use Divine Connexion to call on small intercessions and counters.
Changes to the PHB Ranger Class
Incarna iDnD prefers the UA Revised Ranger, NOT WOTC Ranger Options. We have adopted this well knowing that discussions seem to indicate there is no future for the UA version (as noted at reddit and tribality).
- The Favored Enemy feature is replaced with the Incarna Enmity feature.
- The Rangers Bond/Oath – What makes the Ranger, a Ranger. Primarily, this accounts for the mystical powers of the Ranger, without necessarily having to have a specific Divine Principle to answer to.
- Basic Oath/Bond: The Ranger has a simple bond of One with the Land. They sacrifice 1 Essence at 1st level for the deep ties to the world around them through Shared Litany (good standing with their faith’s tenets). They lose 1 additional Essence at 3rd level when they choose their path and abiding bond with their animal spirit.
- High Oath/Bond: One with the Land. Rangers taking this path must choose the Hunter archetype at 3rd level. A Ranger does NOT need the Psychic Aptitude requirement for this oath. The Aptitude costs cover all the benefits – Rangers continue to get additional Favored Enemy (now Chosen Prey) and favored Terrain at levels without additional costs.
Story Hook ++
This presents a good opportunity for adding Character Story elements to the Character.
- Tasha’s Cauldron: Favored Foe/Foe Slayer is replaced by the Incarna Enmity (a new Chosen Prey is gained at 6th and 14th level) feature, Fighting Style Options, Spell Casting Focus, Martial Versatility (Optional Features)
- Normal [Incarna] Rangers do not have Spell Casting capability. Instead, at 2nd level they gain Second Wind and at 4th they gain Action Surge; both of these operate exactly as the Fighter class abilities, but at Ranger level, not Fighter.