D20 Occult Aptitude Mechanics
Occult Abilities: Intelligence, Charisma (core/most common)
Occult Group: A Coven; Requires 3+ occultists can combine powers
All occult abilities manifest as if it were a normal spell for requirements and effects, unless specifically noted. All spells are cast at the Occult Class level, or minimum level needed to cast (whichever is greater). If an aptitude power is not normally usable by the Occult Class, the character can still use it.
- Major Occultists: These have a deep background of regimine, discipline, and experience. They include: Bard (College of Lore only), Sorcerer, Warlock, or Wizard, Fighter (Eldritch Knight – Occult Chronicle or Minor Pact), Rogue (Arcane Trickster – Occult Chronicle or Minor Pact).
- Minor Occultists: This represents a tangential, minimal, or passing interest only. These include: Magic Initiate and Ritual Caster that use Wizard/Bard/Sorcerer/Warlock spells with Occult Chronicle or Minor Pact as their source.
|Aspect||Aptitude 1||Aptitude 2||Aptitude 3||Aptitude 4|
|Aegis Power||Occult Aegis (As an Action; +2 AC; treated as abjuration or conjuration; lasts 10 minutes and shimmers – Stealth is not possible; no concentration needed)||+1 Greater Resilience, Non-Detection||+1 Counter Spell (targeting self only), +1 Greater Resilience (can spend both at once)|
|Attunement||Can attune an additional occult item (requiring the OCcult Class).||Can attune an additional occult item (requiring the OCcult Class).|
|Occult Alacrity||Can use 1 Mana to suspend a readied spell to persist for up to 1 hour.||A readied spell gets the occultist’s Occult Aptitude rating as an Initiative bonus and it cannot be interrupted when cast.|
|Occult Assistant||Unseen Servant gains a movement rate same as Occultist’s species normal||Unseen Servant gains bonus HP and Strength = Occult Aptitude||If the occultist is within 100’ of an object that they own or are attuned to, the assistant can fetch the item and return if the occultist does not move more than 30’ before it returns.||Unseen Servant enhances Mage Hand so that its activity once cast runs as a Bonus Action|
|Occult Inspiration||1 Mana gains a +1 on an Arcana check (maximum bonus +4 on any single check)|
|Occult Power||+1 Spell Slot (1st level only).||+1 Spell Slot (1st or 2nd level)|
|Ritualist||The character gains knowledge of one 1st level spell of their class that can be ritualized.||Swap out a prepared ritual spell per Short Rest (10 minute * spell level)||Character can prepare an extra spell as long as it a spell that can be ritualized; or The character gains knowledge of one 1st level ritual spell of any class.|
|Sense Magic||Detect Magic uses a Bonus Action instead||Detect Magic range is x Occult Aptitude||Detect Magic duration is x Occult Aptitude||Detect Magic requires no Concentration|
|Student of Magic||+1 Spells Known (of 1st level only)||+1 Prepared Spell or +1 Spells Known (1st or 2nd level)||+1 Spells Known (1st or 2nd level) & +1 to Spell Attack Modifier||+1 Prepared Spell or Spells Known|
|1/Short Rest Powers||Detect Magic, Unseen Servant||Long Strider, Occult Aegis||Arcanist’s Magic Aura||Shield|
Once the Occult Level has exceeded aptitude (5th).
- Bard: They gain a wizard school, and Bardic Inspiration is doubled when used resisting spells, +1 Spells Known and +1 Spell Slot
- Sorcerer: +1 Sorcery Point, +1 Metamagic, Regain +1 Sorcery point per Short Rest, +1 Spell Known
- Warlock: +1 spells known. +1 Spell Slot and +1 Eldritch Invocation when they get their pact boon OR can use their 6th level warlock powers twice as often. Their curses after they get their pact boon are stronger as well. Bane is always maximum penalty, and Bestow Curse has disadvantage on its save.
- Wizard: Gains a 2nd level ability from another school (not any tradition – must be a school of magic) at 5th and another at 10th (or the 6th level ability in the first one), +1 cantrip, can use 5 mana to cast Detect Magic, +1 to Arcane Recovery, +1 prepared spell.